Thursday, September 30, 2004

Ruined for Life

It's been almost four since I first came to Cagayan de Oro, the City of Golden Friendship.

I'm came here, as a volunteer for the Jesuit Volunteers Philippines. Assigned as a program assistant to the office of student affairs of xavier university-ateneo de cagayan.

This wasn't my original assignment, i was initially assigned to the archdiocese of davao as a youth formator. But as the fates would have it, some volunteers backed out, so some volunteers were reshuffled.

I remember during our pre-orientation seminar, before I was reaasigned, some volunteers thought that this would have been a boring assignment. Though they didn't say it directly, it was more of "ano gagawin dyan?". So far, I've been enjoying my stint as a volunteer here.

I would have to say, that when I arrived here, I hit the ground running. Thank God I didn't stumble. My first day at work, while I was being given by my supervisor an orientation, I learned that the next day would be the freshman orientation of the university and our office was the organizer of that event. Tough luck, I had some heavy work to do right after the first day. Well, thursday came, and I was late reporting for work(somehow, the orientation failed to include how i was supposed to get here). The day passed by like a whirlwind. I had to coordinate with the other offices of the university, while I haven't had the time to learn bisay yet, asking them to speak in filipino or english as I was talking to the university officials was quite funny. The next week, we had to prepare for a 3 day seminar for the heads of the various student organizations. Good thing, thing the seminar was out in bukidnon, yipee I get to travel immediately. I have to admit, my first assignment as a youth formator for the archdiocese of davao entailed a lot of traveling, I love to travel. The excitement was dampened by the fact that I had to give a talk during that seminar and my topic was a national situationer and how youth leaders can help. Imagine, ako... magbibigay ng national situation na talk... Napapaniwala ko naman yata sila sa pambobola ko... The whole seminar was fun, got to meet most of my clients for the whole year.

The succeeding weeks until the end of july saw more seminars. There was at least one every week, buti na lang half day na lang yung mga seminars na yun. The following months, though saw me monitoring activities and filing the activity reports of the organizations. Ako, nagffile... After all the scolding I received about my various notes(more of photocopies of my classmates' notes), papers and books scattered around our house. Oh well, if God wants me to learn how to organize files, so be it. I must admit, my filing here needs improvement.

The past 2 months, proved to be more of a challenge. As i now had more free time. This gave me more time to think and reflect about my JVP year(naks... i'll probably write about what i thought up during my free hours next time). There were also times when I found myself bored, though I could count it in my one hand, when there really was nothing for me to do in the office. Boredom didn't become much of a problem because I had great officemates, the students were fun to be with and the SUPER local committee of JVP here.

Though, I'm not yet halfway through my JVP year, I can safely say that I've changed. I never thought that the changes would be this great in such a short time, but it's there. As someone once told us going through a year as a JVP volunteer, leaves one ruined for life, in a good way =).

The life of a volunteer does have its ups and downs, makes one think of a roller coaster ride. The same faith that we give whoever designed a roller coaster to give us a great time and at the same time keep us safe, I know God would do the same and more for me and my batchmates.

Alam ko din, na matatapos ko to ng buong buo ang loob at ng walang panghihinayang.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home